The Benefits of Massage during Pregnancy
During pregnancy, a woman’s body undergoes a great many changes in preparation for childbirth. The changes in a woman’s body, coupled with the natural anxieties associated with pregnancy, can all be stress inducing.
Massage can be of great benefit in helping expectant mothers to prepare themselves physically and emotionally for childbirth and motherhood.
- It can increase the circulation of blood to all areas of the body (including the placenta), thereby bringing greater nutrition to the tissues and enhancing removal of waste
- Reduce strain on the muscles of the lower back, abdomen and shoulders
- Increase the tone of muscles that have become weakened and strained during pregnancy
- Improve the elasticity of the skin
- Encourage rest and relaxation that is much needed during pregnancy
- Reduce fatigue due to increased oxygen absorption into the tissues
- Increase energy levels